- 6 flank steaks, 6 oz each
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 4 medium NC sweet potatoes, peeled
- 8 metal skewers
Make marinade by combining oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, molasses and onion. Mix well and measure out 1 cup.
Add hoisin sauce to 1 cup marinade and blend well. Cut sweet potatoes into 1 inch thick slices, then cut each slice into quarters. Place sweet potatoes in a glass bowl with hoisin marinade. Cover and microwave 2 minutes on high. Let cool slightly, then arrange on skewers, threading them sideways. Allow 6-8 pieces per skewer. While grilling the flank steaks to taste, grill sweet potato skewers around the edges of the grill turning frequently to brown all sides. Allow about 10 minutes to cook through. Test for doneness with a toothpick.