- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- 8 slices pineapple
- Sweet Potato Base
- 4 6-inch Boboli crusts
- 1/2 cup mixed shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 450 Fahrenheit. In a large sauté pan lightly brown bacon slices in oil.
Remove to a cutting board and cut into wedges. Cut pineapple into similarly sized triangles.
Spread Sweet Potato Base evenly over Boboli crust and arrange pineapple and Canadian bacon pieces in a decorative pattern. Sprinkle cheese over Boboli. Bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Sweet Potato Base:
- 2 small NC sweet potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Peel sweet potatoes and quarter. Place in a medium saucepan with whole garlic cloves and water to cover. Bring to boil and simmer 10-15 minutes until softened. Drain and purée in food processor with butter, salt and pepper.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Mint sprig (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel sweet potatoes and cut lengthwise into 8 wedges. Melt 3 1/2 tablespoons margarine; stir in seasoned salt. In a large bowl, toss wedges in the margarine mixture, coating well. Arrange sweet potatoes on a lightly oiled 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine juices, cornstarch and ginger. Stir in apricot preserves and mix well; set aside.
Season chicken with pepper. Melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of margarine in a medium non-stick skillet. Sauté chicken over medium heat until brown, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Remove chicken breasts and keep warm. Add garlic and sauté about 30 seconds. Stir in apricot mixture, stirring until sauce in thickened. To serve, arrange sweet potato wedges on a large plate or platter in spoke-fashion. Top with chicken breasts and drizzle sauce over chicken. Garnish chicken with chopped parsley and mint, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving: Excellent source of vitamins A and C; 618 calories; 18 grams fat; 96 mg cholesterol.
- 4 medium NC sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced stuffed spanish olives
- 1/2 cup frozen kernel corn
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
Wash SweetPotatoes and poke each with a fork. Microwave on high until fork-tender, about 10 minutes for 4 potatoes. Turn potatoes halfway through cooking if microwave does not have a turntable. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté about 4 minutes more. Add ground turkey and stir until turkey is cooked, about 5 minutes. Add taco sauce, turn heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in olives, corn, salt and cayenne pepper; simmer 4 more minutes. To serve, cut potatoes lengthwise and squeeze to fluff up potato. Spoon 1/4 of the topping over each potato. Serve immediately.
- 1/2 pound shrimp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced, seeded jalapeño
- 2 medium NC sweet potatoes
- 1/2 pound tomatillos
- 1-2 tablespoons minced, seeded jalapeños
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- salt to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Tomato & Avocado Salsa Recipe
- 8 taco shells
Peel and devein shrimp. Heat oil in sauté pan and cook shrimp until just opaque. Remove from pan and mix with lime juice, cilantro and 1 tsp. jalapeño. Keep chilled.
Sweet Potato Tomatillo Molé
Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water until softened. Peel and mash; set aside.
Remove husks from tomatillos and quarter. Combine with 1-2 tbsp. jalapeños, onion, garlic and lime juice in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes.
Pour mixture into a blender or food processor; add cilantro and salt and purée. Strain through a coarse strainer. Combine with mashed sweet potato. Add more salt and lime juice if necessary and set aside.
Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeños
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate.
Heat tacos in low oven until warm. Spread molé inside taco. Fill with shrimp mixture, top with salsa and serve.
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoonsbalsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast or pork cutlets, cut into bite size strips
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large sweetpotato, peeled & cut into 1/2″ slices
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 1 large carrot, thinly bias sliced
- 1/2 pound snow peas
- 1/2 pound asparagus, thinly bias sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup coarsely chopped chinese cabbage
- Hot Cooked Rice
For marinade, in a medium bowl combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic powder and pepper. Add chicken or pork to marinade. Toss to coat; cover and refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours. Heat 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add SweetPotato, onion, carrot, snow peas, and asparagus. Stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Remove vegetables from wok or skillet. Drain chicken or pork well, reserving marinade. Stir cornstarch into marinade and set aside. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in wok or skillet. Add the chicken or pork and stir-fry for about 3 minutes or until no pink remains. Remove from wok. Add marinade to wok. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Return meat and vegetables to wok. Add the cabbage and heat through. Serve over hot cooked rice.
- 1 medium sweetpotato
- 1 sweet, mild onion, such as Maui or Vadalia
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sliced, julienned country ham
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
Peel SweetPotato; cut into 1/4-inch cubes. Blanch SweetPotato cubes in boiling, salted water until tender, about 8 minutes; drain and set aside. Chop onion and green pepper. Heat oil in omelet pan; sauté onion and bell pepper tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in cooked SweetPotatoes and ham. Sauté 1 minute. Add butter to omelet pan. Beat eggs and season with salt and pepper. Pour eggs into omelet pan and stir with a fork. Cover pan and cook about 3 minutes to set egg. Uncover and place pan under hot broiler until top of frittata is firm, about 1 minute. Loosen with a rubber spatula and slide onto serving plate. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- 1 pound pork loin, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 small onions, cut in wedges
- 1 1/2 pounds sweetpotatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red pepper, cut in strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 package(10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
In large saucepan, brown pork in oil. Add onions, SweetPotatoes and garlic, cook 10 minutes, turning often. Add red pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, tomato sauce, vegetable broth and lime juice. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. add peas and cook 5 minutes longer or until pork and vegetables are tender. To serve, spoon into bowls and garnish with green onions. If desired, serve with cooked rice.
- 6 flank steaks, 6 oz each
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 4 medium NC sweet potatoes, peeled
- 8 metal skewers
Make marinade by combining oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, molasses and onion. Mix well and measure out 1 cup.
Add hoisin sauce to 1 cup marinade and blend well. Cut sweet potatoes into 1 inch thick slices, then cut each slice into quarters. Place sweet potatoes in a glass bowl with hoisin marinade. Cover and microwave 2 minutes on high. Let cool slightly, then arrange on skewers, threading them sideways. Allow 6-8 pieces per skewer. While grilling the flank steaks to taste, grill sweet potato skewers around the edges of the grill turning frequently to brown all sides. Allow about 10 minutes to cook through. Test for doneness with a toothpick.
- 2 quarts Shredded Raw SweetPotatoes
- 1 1/2 quarts Chopped Broccoli
- 1 quart Kidney Beans, drained
- 3 cups Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Sliced Green Onions or Chopped Purple Onion
- 1 cup Canned Chopped Green Chiles
- 2 quarts Low-Fat Plain Yogurt
- 2 cups Low Fat Ranch Dressing
- 1 tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 50 10-inch Flour Tortillas
- 6 cups Shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese
In large bowl, combine first six ingredients. In second bowl, combine yogurt, dressing, chili powder, garlic powder and cumin. Blend well. Pour over vegetables; toss to blend. Lay tortillas flat on counter. Using #8 scoop vegetable mixture in center, top with 2 tbsp. cheese; spread evenly in center of tortilla, leaving 1 1/2 inches at bottom. Fold up bottom of tortilla to cover filling. Fold sides over filling. Cover and serve chilled or heat in microwave on high for 25 seconds to serve warm. If desired, arrange in shallow pan and bake at 350 degrees F. for 5 minutes.
- 3 lb. SweetPotatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed (about 4 cups)
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated skim milk, divided
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen small white onions, thawed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- (14 1/2 oz.) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, combine mashed SweetPotatoes, 1/3 cup evaporated skim milk, salt and pepper. Stir to combine; set aside. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp, turning at least once. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 1 teaspoon of fat from the pan. Add garlic, mushrooms and white onions and cook over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown slightly and mushrooms have softened. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture and cook, stirring 1 minute. Slowly add remaining evaporated skim milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add chicken broth, cumin and nutmeg; bring to a gentle boil and cook until slightly thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in mustard and soy sauce ; set aside. Crumble bacon into a bowl; add chicken, mixed vegetables and sauce mixture and stir. Pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Spread the SweetPotato mixture evenly over the top of the dish to cover. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until thoroughly warmed.